We've found this Black Bean and Corn Salad to be a wonderful nibbler
dish with Perennial Vintner Muller Thurgau. (From Julee Rosso's
"Great Good Food".)
2 cups black beans, picked over and soaked overnight
1 green bell pepper, roasted, peeled and sliced
1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and sliced
2 cups chopped plum tomato
1 cup sliced scallion, green and white parts
1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed corn kernels
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Drain the beans and place them in a large stockpot; cover with
water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cook the beans for 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes, or until just
tender; do not overcook or they will be mushy. Drain and rinse in
cold water. Place in large bowl.
2. Add the peppers, tomato, scalliion, and corn, and cover.
3. In a small cast-iron skillet, toast the cumin and coriander seeds
over medium-high heat until fragrant. Pulverize the seeds to a powder
in a spice grinder.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and oil. Add the cumin,
coriander, lime juice, lime zest, red pepper flakes, and salt and
pepper to taste.
5. Pour the dressing over the beans and vegetables and stir to
combine. Fold in the cilantro, cover, and set aside for 1 hour.
Serve at room temperature.