The following recipes was contributed by a Perennial Vintners customer.
Ichigo and Rhubarb Risotto with Sugared Strawberries
Risotto becomes a kind of rice pudding in this dish, with a sweet-tart syrup drizzled over the creamy rice.
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup Ichigo
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 3 1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 cups non-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked sweet rice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine strawberries and 1 tablespoon sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine Ichigo and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; cook 7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in rhubarb; cook 7 minutes.
- Bring 3 1/2 cups water to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat. Combine milk, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and nutmeg in a separate saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat. Melt butter in a large Dutch oven. Add rice to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup hot water; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining water, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of water is absorbed before adding the next. Add milk mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of milk is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Stir in vanilla; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons Ichigo mixture and 1/4 cup strawberry mixture.